New map Event- is it possible to finish without gems?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ultimate Sea Dog, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Mobotts

Mobotts Captain

Ghost ships seem to be the key. I'm taking 16+ hour trips and managing to pull pretty good tokens. I just hit the 25k mark but it will still be a close one.

Darth Yoda likes this.
  2. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

Mabotts is right. It is clear that Ghost Ships provide the best return. Every trip I do includes attacking one. I run two trips a day, one of 8 hours and one of 16 hours and average around 6K tokens a day. this challenge is not a walk in the park, but it is not impossible either. It is a fair challenge. If you are not scoring enough tokens per trip, then you have not been paying attention to the advice provided on the forum. It tells you everything you need to know about getting to 40K.

Mobotts likes this.
  3. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Perhaps so, but keep in mind it's the addicted minority of us who spend a lot of time on the forums.

The last Boggs challenge seemed to have a reasonable bar, with some member struggling and others managing it pretty well. It definitely feels like the bar has been raised enough on this one to require most to gem it or miss the mark at the end. Many in our guild are feeling a bit let down after 24h+ journeys with 3+ 5* battles reward only 4-5K, making it clear that it's kind of gems or miss it.

Kind of saw the same thing with Angry Birds Epic back when I played that. When events first came out, if you went all out crazy you could complete without $, but it reached a point where the end was raised just beyond reach without gems, even for those who put in the time, set timers to remember, etc.

What Plunder Pirates has though (and AB Epic didn't do so well) is rewards along the way that make the event worth participating in (and still rewarding without gemming), even if you don't make it to the end. I think most people just have trouble letting go of that carrot way out on the longest stick. :)

4. Skye

Skye Commodore

The final rewards are balanced so only higher-end players can achieve them for free, but they are technically within reach - but all things in the game are balanced so higher level players get more rewards, because lower level players don't need those rewards yet. I finished my event already, with over 2 and a half days to spare. You have to know good strategy to do it for free, and many people seem to be assuming hitting extra monsters just for the sake of hitting more in a journey is a good way to go, when that actually hurts you.

Lower level players will struggle, but if it was easy for a new PH4 to complete, then it would be beyond trivial for anyone high level, and that would make it boring for experienced players. They definitely balanced rewards well so that at every level you would be able to get further. The higher bar provides more rewards than the last event did, so similar play during the last event would reward similar rewards to the last event - higher level rewards are in addition to what you would have already gotten had it stayed the same. You're not getting rewarded any less for not getting further than last time, other players that are capable of it are just getting rewarded more.

While a minority of players may read the forums, or have joined Slack, most major guilds have at least one player represented, usually a captain or officer, that could be passing on that information.

I know every single game I've ever played, if I was struggling, I'd quickly look online for help (back in the day this was accomplished via gamefaqs). Any player who is struggling and wants the help could quickly put in a google search if they wanted. I can't name a single major mobile game without some sort of fan community with strategies for doing the best possible at it.

5. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Good points all, but most insightful was the one about increased rewards to go with the higher bar. Not obvious, though perhaps it should have been.

No worries, Seadogs has one or two of those people you hinted at, too. ;)

Colonel Forbin likes this.
  6. Mobotts

Mobotts Captain

You're right, many folks aren't on the forum, but as good community players I would hope that we are sharing the knowledge that we have with those around us.

7. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Alright: Conclusion for Map Event

1. before the event begins (during 6d countdown), chase ghost ships to stormy seas
    2. 1 day before the event, set ship out to sea for a looong trip.
    3. After event starts, attack Ghost Ships at Stormy Seas (4* or 5* will do, but preferably 5*) and anything near it.
    4. remember to have a full tavern BEFORE ship returns
    5. make sure NOT A SINGLE SECOND is wasted: PLAN your trips first.

Mobotts and Darth Yoda like this.
  8. Ultimate Sea Dog

BTW: to make sure I keep things OK, I use the same troop combo for attacking for exploring: 13 gunners, 1 brute, 7 bomber, 7sky raiders, 8 skellies, 2 WDs, 1 HG, 5 juggs and 1 priestess. It's a good mix that can take down pretty much anything.

Mobotts likes this.
  9. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Alas @Ultimate Sea Dog, I was lazy and didn't follow a single piece of your advice or any from @Skye and @Kamikazemug so yeah, I just ain't finishing this Event sadly. It definitely is possible to complete without gemming, if you plan more than you guess and are prepared!

10. Ultimate Sea Dog

Same here. I'm gonna finish at the 30k mark, since I wasn't prepared. I expected 24k, so yeah...

11. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Also, don't ever cancel a trip. Even if you kill a bunch of monsters, once you cancel it, you lose out on all points gained for the voyage. I just lost over a full days travel due to canceling.

12. Ultimate Sea Dog

Apologies on the resurrection of this thread, but I've got a question to ask:
    what are the event token fomulas? I remember skye posting one somewhere but I can't seem to find it:mad::mad:

13. @Skye can you help him out?